Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Alpha Donuts and Baruir’s coffee

Alpha Donuts
45-16 Queens Blvd, Sunnyside, NY 11104

Alpha Donuts is another rage of the neighborhood and just like Baruir, it sustained the same old style look inside and out. The tables are bar table shaped like a wave and takes me back somewhere in my memory to a place I have eaten before when I was a teenager.




My mission was to taste the donut instead of the food. I asked for a French curller and I was a little shocked that it cost $1.50. $1.50 for a donut? It better be good. I had their donuts before,  the old fashion donuts, and that was good but nothing spectacular. French curller I thought was nothing special either but I will definitely choose it over Dunkin Donut.


Baruir’s coffee
40-07 Queens Blvd, Sunnyside, NY 11104

I am not a coffee connoisseur but those who know me know that I am a fan of coffee. I have heard about Baruir’s through various websites with high recommendation. Thus it should not be a surprise that I went in search for it.

The outside seems outdated but the florist next door makes up for it. I love the inside.
It’s simple and nothing fancy. It has been around a long time and has the confidence, patience, and comfort.



My intention was to grab a cup when I walked in, but it wasn’t a café. It’s a shop for coffee. They have the roaster right by the door and they were roasting as I walked in. Coffee aroma has such an effect. The lady was kind enough to allow me to take some pictures and except for the walls, I wouldn’t change anything. A gentleman chimed in when he saw my camera about how splendid this place is and it’s the neighborhood favorite.









I asked the woman to get me a strong coffee and sorry, I forgot the name of it. As soon as I got home, I washed my coffee pot with vinegar so that I can taste the coffee without any interference with my other coffee that I’ve used. The result, it was strong but not heavy and I thoroughly enjoyed the brew.



Gorilla coffee is my favorite (and I savor as a reward) because of its strength but I have to say it has a heavy taste that sometimes can be overwhelming. I usually buy DD’s coffee for my usual morning joe but I think I will be making a switch.

2 comments:

  1. Hmmm...I'm always looking for some good coffee...is there anything there that would knock my socks off? I personally think DD coffee's a bit weak.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Since the weather is getting warmer try the ice coffee. Take a visit to the store and they will make your own special blend. I heard there will be a website www.baruirscoffee.com selling their coffee online soon.

    ReplyDelete